ACERs offers two main services; pulmonary rehabilitation and cardiac rehabilitation
Pulmonary rehabilitation (PR) is a programme of exercise and education for people with long-term lung conditions
It combines physical exercise sessions with discussion and advice on lung health and is designed to help you to manage the symptoms of your condition, including getting out of breath.
PR is recognised as one of the most effective treatments for people with long term lung conditions.
The ACERs PR programme takes place in 3 locations across Hackney. Participants attend 2 group sessions a week for 8 weeks. Each session lasts 2 hours in total.
Pulmonary rehabilitation will:
- help to improve your muscle strength, so you can use the oxygen you breathe more efficiently.
- improve your general fitness and help you to cope better with feeling out of breath
- help you to feel to stronger and fitter, and able to do more.
Laura Graham; Lead
Alice Kenward; Physiotherapist
Josh Tipple; Physiotherapist
0208 510 5107
Cardiac rehabilitation (CR) is recommended by NICE clinical guidelines as part of the treatment for patients with coronary heart disease.
CR seeks to empower people to manage their condition. It can enhance short term recovery and improve long term health and well-being by exercise training and management of cardiovascular risk factors such as smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes.
CR consists of education about healthy living for people with a heart problem, psychological support and a supervised exercise programme delivered by a team of nurses, physiotherapists, dietitian, psychologist and pharmacist who work closely with patients and their families.
Depending on individual circumstances people will be invited to participate in one of the following:
- An 8 week Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme held at Homerton Hospital
- An 8 week Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme held at the Britannia Leisure Centre
- A 6 week self- management programme called The Heart Manual
Maureen Barry; Hospital CR
Marissa Ting; Community CR
Maureen 0208 510 7642
Marissa 0208 510 7016 07748 127955
Fax: 0208 510 7687