Quality in Pathology
"Quality in Pathology involves doing the "right" thing at each stage of an end-to-end process; from the choice of investigation, through all the subsequent stages of sampling, analysis and interpretation up to and including all the follow-up actions carried out by clinicians based on the knowledge added by the pathology service."
The Homerton University Hospital Pathology Department is committed to providing diagnostic laboratory services of the highest quality and will be aware of and take into consideration the needs and requirements of its users, including patients, clinicians and commissioners.
The pathology quality department is responsible for: -
- promoting continuous quality improvement
- ensuring good clinical governance through the implemention and maintenance of a robust quality management system (QMS)
- facilitating the achievement of regulatory (MHRA) as well as laboratory accreditation requirements which can be checked via the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS)
- monitoring comments made by service users in response to annual user survey and coordinating account management strategy on the part of the Pathology service
we achieve this through: -
- construction of a quality manual and quality policy
- setting quality objectives and plans
- developing and implementing quality initiatives
- internal audits
- training in performance of audit
- document control
- monitoring incidents, complaints and user feedback
- attending the Trust clinical risk committee
- monthly review of accreditation issues, non-conformances and trends
- furthering the Trust programme for innovation and delivering a high quality, patient-focused pathology service
For more general information on the role of the Quality Management System in the maintenance and deployment of Pathology services please refer to guidance provided by the Royal College of Pathologists here.
Also you can contact our Quality Manager: Paula Wilks on:
020 8510 7503 or huh-tr.PathologyQuality@nhs.net
for information regarding our UKAS status for testing and EQA performance in any of our Pathology Departments.
Your feedback about our Pathology services
Please let us know what you think about our pathology services...
Click here to find out what our users have to say about us...