School Nursing Service
We are commissioned by the London Borough of Hackney and the City of London to provide school-based health services to children and young people attending state-maintained schools from reception to leaving school in the area. We offer the following
- for children entering reception (the School Health Entry Check)
- Height, weight, hearing, vision.
- for children in year 6 (the National Child Measurement Programme Service)
- Height, weight.
Supporting children with disabilities or additional health needs whether in a special or a mainstream school environment:
- dedicated provision for maintained, special schools to meet the on-going school health needs of their pupils.
- support for maintained schools to meet the school health needs of children with disabilities and additional needs. Such as training and advice for school staff on how to support children with complex health needs.
- development of Individual Healthcare Plans for all children with medical needs, attending maintained educational settings aged 5-19 years.
- training to school staff and early year’s settings, on how to help support children who experience conditions such as asthma, epilepsy, anaphylaxis and diabetes, increasing their understanding of and confidence in assisting with these conditions
- delivery of a preventative health offer that maximises the physical and mental health of school-age children, attending maintained schools, such as health talks on issues such as
- puberty (growing up)
- maintaining good hygiene
- exercise and healthy eating
- having healthy relationships with friends
- drop-in service for young people in secondary school
We also provide a prioritised, safeguarding school health offer to Children in Need, children on Child Protection Plans, and any children identified as ‘vulnerable’ who are of school age and living in City and Hackney. We work with other professions to ensure that children are kept safe.
Immunisation for school-age children
Vaccination UK dedicated Immunisations Team deliver the school immunisations programme. They can be contacted by
Phone: 0333 800 5100
Referral to specialist services
Our school nurses can refer any child who might require more specialist support for medical assessment or to be seen by one of our specialist services
- Speech and language therapy
- Child and adolescent mental health services
- CAMHS are the NHS services that assess and treat young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.
- Children’s Social Care
- CHYPS Plus
- Hackney Young Carers
- Off Centre –Counselling service
- Sexual Health Services
- Young Hackney Services
- Youth Services in the City of London
How to contact us
Please don’t hesitate to contact us, or speak to your named school nurse if you have any questions or concerns about health provision for your child, please do let your named school nurse know as soon as possible so that we can work with you to resolve any issues.
For questions about individual children you can:
contact your school nurse through your child’s school
call our office on 020 7683 4991 or
email us email@example.com
Ours is a secure email address and is checked Monday to Friday between 9 am and 5 pm.
No information in your child’s school health record will be disclosed without your permission. Where necessary, consent will be sought from parents and carers before any referrals are made.
It is important to us that we maintain effective communication and we are available to answer questions by phone and email.
- For questions about individual children please write to our new secure email address which is checked Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm
- School nursing office Admin on 020 7683 4991
Senior nurse for 5 - 19 services
Room 22, Second floor
Nuttall Street, St Leonards
London N1 5LZ
0207 683 4818