Information for GPs and health professionals
Our paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapists work with the adult musculoskeletal team
Many of our therapists are members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy and the Association of Paediatric Chartered Physiotherapists.
We work out of Homerton University Hospital and our clinics are split between Starlight children’s outpatients (new-born to 5 years old), and the main physiotherapy outpatient department (6 to 16 years old).
We are also involved in the rheumatology clinics with one of our paediatricians.
We accept consultant referrals from patients who live in Hackney and have a City and Hackney GP. We accept GP referrals from City and Hackney only.
Making a referral
Appointments and referrals can be made by you or your GP via The Electronic Referral Service (e-RS). This is Homerton's preferred method of receiving referrals. Please search under ‘Physiotherapy’ and ‘Musculoskeletal’ to find the Paediatric Musculoskeletal service
Our physiotherapy treatment can include:
- Education, advice and reassurance
- Home exercise
- Manual therapy
- Onward referrals for hydrotherapy at Mile End Hospital
- Other onward referrals including; foot health services, dietetics and CAHMS
Some of the common conditions we assess and treat in our clinics:
- Positional talipes
- Congenital talipes – managed with Ponseti casting
- Torticollis and plagiocephaly
- Gait abnormalities (in-toeing/out-toeing/idiopathic toe walking)
- Obstetric brachial plexus palsy
- General aches and pains
- Mild motor developmental delay
- General joint or muscular aches and pains
- Ligamentous, muscular or bone injury
- Other rheumatology conditions such as JIA