Coming in for surgery
Appointments before your operation
After you and your surgeon decide that you need an operation, we will check that you are medically fit and talk to you about what to expect.
You will need to attend a pre-operative assessment appointment where we will:
- review your medical history
- give you information on how to prepare for coming in to hospital
For certain types of surgery, you will need to attend other sessions. For example:
- if you are having a joint replacement you will attend a “Joint School”
- if you are having surgery for weight loss you will attend specific appointments and groups before your surgery
Your surgical team or the team in pre-assessment will be able to give you more information or find out more from the links on the right-hand side of the page .
Questions or concerns about your operation
Hopefully all of your queries will be answered by your surgeon, or at the pre-operative assessment appointment.
If you are worried about how you will manage after your operation, for example once you go home, you can contact our Surgical Rehabilitation Team for advice.
Getting yourself prepared
It has been shown that patients who know what to expect from their operation, and are actively involved in their recovery have less stress about the operation and a faster recovery. Watch our video below to get a detailed understanding of what is involved
Having your treatment at a different hospital
Read this leaflet to find out how hospitals in the area are pooling their resources to overcome the delays to treatment caused by Covid: Mutual Aid patient leaflet ONLINE.pdf
Wait well, stay well
NHS North East London created the 'Wait Well, Stay Well' website to help you manage your health and wellbeing while waiting for hospital treatment. It has lots of useful information and resources, and can:
- Answer questions you might have about your treatment
- Give guidance on current waiting times at your local hospital Trust
- Help you prepare for the procedure itself
- Direct you to local resources that you can use for extra support