Chronic fatigue service
The Locomotor ME/CFS Service is a specialist community based service located in Hackney, providing assessment and management for adults aged 18 and above living with ME/CFS or suspected ME/ CFS. City & Hackney GPs can refer into the service if suspecting a diagnosis and for confirmation of a diagnosis where symptoms meet the criteria threshold for confirmation.
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a fluctuating condition affecting many body systems.
These are some of the common symptoms:
• fatigue that feels very different from ordinary tiredness
• aching muscles or joints
• sleep disturbance/un-refreshing sleep
• problems with concentration/memory (brain fog)
• digestive problems
• more sensitive to light, sounds and smells
• generally feeling unwell (flu like symptoms)
• post-exertional malaise (sometimes called payback)
• sore throats and tender lymph glands.
The Locomotor ME/CFS Team can help you to:
• gain an understanding of ME/CFS and the model of dysregulation which helps to explain what is happening inside your body and why you may be experiencing certain symptoms
• learn different strategies and skills to reduce the suffering caused by ME/CFS
• work towards being able to do more of the things in life that are important to you
• try out different ways of responding to understandable feelings of sadness, anger, worry or fear about ME/CFS
• look at life problems and stressors, which can further affect how people cope with your ME/CFS
In line with the national guidelines, our service offers an interdisciplinary approach. Our team consists of:
• ME/CFS Specialist Physiotherapists
• ME/CFS Specialist Psychologists
• ME/CFS Specialist Occupational Therapists
Your first assessment will be a one-to-one assessment with two members of the ME/CFS Service team which can take up to two hours. It will be a chance to discuss further what we offer and answer any questions you may have. An interpreter can be arranged if necessary.
By the end of this assessment, a plan will be made based on the goals you would like to work towards. This may include further appointments within the ME/CFS service, referral to other services, or a discharge from the ME/CFS Service. We will write to you and your GP and let them know the outcome of the assessment and any recommendations or plans that we make.
If a plan is made for you to attend further appointments in the Locomotor ME/CFS Service, these may be individual appointments with a physiotherapist, occupational therapist or a psychologist.
You will need to be registered with a Hackney GP. We require the GP to complete the ME/CFS referral form and have completed all the necessary blood tests and investigations.
Useful links for patients
The service is open Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00 and can be contacted by email, telephone or by letter.
The best days to contact our administrator by telephone are Thursdays and Fridays.
Locomotor ME/CFS Service
Administrator: 020 7683 4689